[Lsb-wg] opposition to LSB 2.0 rc1

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@redhat.com
Sat Jul 31 15:41:00 GMT 2004

>Having attended both the LSG and LRG meetings held by SC22 to discuss
>the possible standardisation of Linux, I know that they were not widely
>known about or attended by the open source community.  The PAS alternative
>was knowingly chosen by the FSG and strongly pushed by the US delegations
>as the only viable approach.  Thus, I'm not surprised by these developments.

Thanks for taking the time to attend this. Getting the word out on this
stuff is indeed hard.

I think it is possible to deliver an alternate PAS, but I don't know how
this would be done, or if this would be necessary or useful.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/stdsdevelopment/whowhenhow/proc/deliverables/iso_pas.html

>We held a BOFS at OLS last week to discuss these issues, and to make
>it known that participation at the committee level in Canada is not
>as formidable as it might seem.

Are there minutes of this BOF online (where?)? It would probably be
useful for the gcc hackers as well. Is the information specific to
Canada or is it applicable to other national bodies as well?

>I personally think the LSB needs to broken up into smaller components.

Something should be tried, I think. I believe the LSB is investigating
ways to split this spec up into manageable pieces that can move at
independent time schedules.

That would be most welcome.

-benjamin