gcc cross mips output sizes, 2.95.3 vs 3.3.3

David Wuertele dave-gnus@bfnet.com
Thu Dec 16 23:04:00 GMT 2004

Anyone here know why object files have grown significantly since
2.95.3?

I've been using crosstool-generated gcc-3.3.3 to build my mipsel
targets, and I find that the file sizes are ginormous.  After
stripping the objects, I get file sizes that are up to TWICE as large
as similarly generated gcc-2.95.3 code.  Do these sizes not look out of
line?

   bytes          gcc-3.3.3 generated files
  -------       --------------------------------
  1048576	/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so
  1036288	/bin/busybox
  1011712	/bin/bash

   bytes          gcc-2.95.3 generated files
  495616	/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so
  462848	/bin/busybox
  847872	/bin/bash

Compiling with -Os helps, but STILL doesn't get close to the file
sizes I saw with my older cross-compiler.

Does the size of the generated executables depend on how I built
gcc-3.3.3?

Thanks,
Dave