Mainline bootstrap failure in toplev.c

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:56:00 GMT 2004

> Yes this is caused by the newer linux kernel headers which define
> inline as "__inline__ __attribute__((always_inline))".  So this is the
> normal linux kernel headers [expletive deleted to get around spam block] up
> the build.  This was reported

Ah, thanks. (I have other gripe with the kernel on this machine, since it
doesn't allow the use any other compiler in /usr/include/linux/compiler.h
unless it identifies itself as gcc...)

> back when the linux kernel headers changed and when the error was added
> to gcc.

Apparently it didn't help, as there are now systems out there on which gcc
doesn't bootstrap. So we need to find a workaround. However, I'd like again
to ask whether it is intentional that we have two different implementations
of the same function? This strikes me as wrong, and the lack of comments
doesn't indicate that this was a conscious decision. It is hardly worth
noting, I guess, that removing one of the definitions allows the bootstrap to
continue...

W.