xscale performance optimization difference between gcc 3.2 and 3.4.0

James E Wilson wilson@specifixinc.com
Thu Aug 12 23:36:00 GMT 2004

Bill Garner wrote:
>      Does gcc 3.4.0/3.4.1 do better xscale performance optimization than
> gcc 3.2?.

It is difficult to give specifics, so many different people write so
many different patches for gcc, and we make no effort to track them all.

Some of this stuff does get documented in our release notes.  You could
try looking at them on the web site.  Check both the gcc-3.4 and gcc-3.3
release notes.
     http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html

Yes, there has been xscale development and optimization work in between
gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.4.  There has also been general arm work that might
benefit xscale, and also machine independent work that might benefit xscale.

One notable item is that gcc now has iwmmxt support.

It is impossible to say whether any of this work will help your
application, or by how much.  Performance is very application dependent.