-profile-use: "has overflowed" error
Andreas Jaeger
aj@suse.de
Mon Apr 19 20:59:00 GMT 2004
Michael Veksler <VEKSLER@il.ibm.com> writes:
> While trying to do profiled based optimization with gcc-3.4, I got the
> following error:
> $ g++ -O2 -Werror -c -DNDEBUG -fprofile-use file.cpp
> file.cpp:1: error `file.gcda' has overflowed
> $ g++ -v
> Reading specs from
> /home/veksler/gcc/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.0/specs
> Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.0-20040406/configure
> --prefix=/home/veksler/gcc --enable-languages=c++
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.0 20040407 (prerelease)
>
> Is it normal behavior in some cases or is it a bug in gcc-3.4?
> I guess that I can remove file.gcda, and go on with the compilation, but
> that is a major incontinence in an automated build system.
> I tried to look this up in gcc.gnu.org search. All I could find was a
> patch by Jan Hubicka on Dec 2003, that made this error more informative
> than it used to be (and produced an error instead of a plain warning).
>
> My guess is that some of the profiling counters are 32 bit, and my code
> (which runs many seconds) covers the same arc too many times. In that
> case, it is a bug in profiling code. I think that either the counters
> should be 64 bit (which may be too expensive), or they should not wrap
> around (and stop at (~(counter_type)0) ).
>
> Am I correct? Should I open a PR?
> I can't send offending code because:
> 1. It is too big
> 2. I am not allowed to.
> I could and try to reproduce it in a special test case - if I knew what
> the error was about.
If you have code that you can send, please open a PR. Otherwise, I
don't think there's much that can be done.
Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 188 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/attachments/20040419/645b8285/attachment.sig>
More information about the Gcc
mailing list