PROPOSAL: Policy for obsoleting targets

Dan Kegel dank-gcc@kegel.com
Wed May 21 16:56:00 GMT 2003

Zack Weinberg wrote:
> One class of objections to the original proposal centers around its
> being difficult or impossible to run the test suite against some
> otherwise supported targets.  This is a serious problem in its own
> right.  It can be partially addressed through documentation, and it
> sounds like people are making plans to improve the documentation.  I
> know a fair bit about building cross-toolchains, and will gladly lend
> a hand there.

I'm interested in helping, too.   I have already helped out a bit
on dejagnu documentation.  Still haven't managed to run a remote
test using it, though.

It's interesting that expect is a stumbling block for the djgpp port.
Perhaps a batch mode version of the framework could be put together
that did all the compiles in one pass, and all the runs in a second
pass, controlled by a script rather than by expect.
The farther away we can get from dejagnu the better, IMHO.
It's extremely difficult to understand and use in a remote environment.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com