target/10663 (was Re: non-portable construct in gcc configure script)

Kelley Cook kcook34@ford.com
Fri May 16 20:35:00 GMT 2003

Joe Buck wrote:
> In the test labeled
>
> AC_MSG_CHECKING(linker read-only and read-write section mixing)
>
> gcc/configure.in in 3.3 uses "grep -A1".  This feature is not in Solaris's
> grep.  It's not in the HP-UX grep either.
>
> The result is that the configure output looks like
>
> checking linker read-only and read-write section mixing... grep: illegal option -- A
> grep: illegal option -- 1
> Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
>
> on Solaris 2.8.  The failure appears harmless, but I'm not sure.

There is another non-portable feature in that exact same test.

I sent a patch for it a few weeks ago, if someone would like to review that
at the same time.

--- forward ----
Cygwin is not completing the "linker read-only and
read-write section mixing" configure test. It aborts with:

conftest1.s: Assembler messages:
conftest1.s:1: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `"'

It seems that Cygwin's "as" doesn't like double-quotes
surrounding it's section names.  This in itself may or may
not be a bug, but it that is not what this particular
conftest is testing.  Regardless, from what I can gather
from the gas docs not having the quotes should be OK on all
targets.

Kelley Cook