building a gcc-3.3-prerelease cross-compiler

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Tue May 13 15:46:00 GMT 2003


Paul Koning wrote:
>>>>>>"Rene" == Rene Rebe <rene.rebe@gmx.net> writes:
> 
> 
>  Rene> Hi, On: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:22:38 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz
>  Rene> <drow@mvista.com> wrote:
> 
>  Rene> [ ... error log ... ]
> 
>  >> > Any ideas?
>  >> 
>  >> You can't build target libraries until after you've built glibc.
> 
>  Rene> Well nice that the cross-build instructions change between
>  Rene> every major release (and sometimes between minors ...). What
>  Rene> are the current instructions?
> 
>  Rene> (Is it intentional that the GCC install instructions point to
>  Rene> the rather old "Version: 1.01, Last Updated December 3, 1999"
>  Rene> CrossGCC/FAQ ? Maybe some more recent info should be included
>  Rene> in the install document ...)
> 
> Indeed.  It would be even better if they actually worked.  I have
> never seen ones that work.  The closest I have come is procedures that
> result in a build process that aborts at some point, but gets far
> enough to produce a compiler that appears to function.

I'm both sympathetic and frustrated by this as well.

One consequence of not having documentation which is correct (or even
close) is that we don't find bugs in the build process.  It makes it
difficult to tell whether a problem building a cross-compiler is
(a) user error, (b) errors in the documentation, (c) unclear interactions
between the configure options, (d) interactions or incompatibilities between
components, or (e) errors in the implementation.

I'd like to see the CrossGCC FAQ actually be a list of Questions and
Answers, not a script for building a cross-compiler with one specific
set of options for one particular purpose.  IMO, we (the proverbial we,
that is) could likely mine the GCC mailing list to find the common
questions and the common answers.

As Daniel said, lack of time/experience/motivation is a factor.  I'm
reluctant to say that I'll take a stab at a FAQ, given that I have limited
time and every time I look at GCC configuration I feel that I'm being
sucked into a tar pit.  :-)


-- 
Michael Eager	 Eager Consulting     eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077



More information about the Gcc mailing list