An issue for the SC: horrible documentation quality of GCC

Kai Henningsen kaih@khms.westfalen.de
Sun May 11 19:42:00 GMT 2003

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)  wrote on 10.05.03 in <10305101653.AA23590@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>:

> The issue of what order to run optimizations is very tricky and I don't
> think can be answered in that sort of general way.

As there is so often, there is an answer that is perfectly obvious, but
not helpful in practice.

Have a cost function that determines how good the optimization of a
program is.

Run all optimizations in some predetermined sequence.

Compare the cost function of the output to the one of the input.

As long as there was some improvement, do it again.

Then use the best result.

Compile times? What do you mean, compile times?

MfG Kai