target names and glibc versions on linux

Jim Wilson wilson@tuliptree.org
Wed Jun 25 18:38:00 GMT 2003


Alex Hornby wrote:
> Anyway - the basic point is that say, Redhat 9 and Debian Woody are
> quite different systems (glibc, kernel etc etc), at least as different
> as solaris 2.6 and 2.8, but config.guess doesn't give me any assistance
> in distinguishing them, so I have to fall back to add-hoc methods of my
> own.

A reasonable point.  I am not convinced that adding the glibc version 
number completely solves it, because I think there will be other 
problems.  It is probably better than nothing though.

This isn't something that the gcc developers can unilaterally change. 
It will require consensus from a number of linux developers.  This is 
really more of a linux issue than a gcc issue.  If the linux developers 
agree to change their configuration names, then we can take advantage of 
this in gcc.  Changing the configuration names may require changing a 
lot of packages.

Jim



More information about the Gcc mailing list