cross configuration question.

Jim Wilson wilson@tuliptree.org
Tue Jun 24 10:28:00 GMT 2003


Douglas B Rupp wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a cross compiler.

There isn't enough info here.  You didn't mention how you configured, or 
what error you are getting.

> For the top level configure I export AR_FOR_TARGET, AS_FOR_TARGET, and
> LD_FOR_TARGET and the configure works fine.

This shouldn't be necessary.  configure will take care of this stuff for 
you.

> However when I do the "make", the gcc configure ignores the above and wants
> to use the host utilities.

I am guessing that this is failing when the gcc driver is used.  This is 
because the gcc driver invokes the assembler as just "as", so you need 
to make sure that the cross assembler will be found before the native 
assembler.  This happens automatically if you use the same prefix for 
configuring both binutils and gcc.  If you use a different prefix, then 
you can make this work by creating links in the gcc build directory that 
point at the cross tool binaries.  You can also make this work by 
building binutils and gcc at the same time in a common tree.

Jim



More information about the Gcc mailing list