cross-compilation documentation

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Mon Jun 23 03:06:00 GMT 2003

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>> That first step, installing bootstrap glibc headers, is a new
>> and annoying prerequisite as of gcc-3.3. See
>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2003-06/msg00170.html
>> for my rant on the subject.
>
> ACK.
>
> _But_ it's even worse that there's no[1] strict documentation on how to
> get a working cross-compiler. There are some "interesting"
> configurations which should have easily findable documentation.
> (Extensive --with-sysroot docs?).
>
> For me, toying mostly with around with Linux, my top wishlist is:
>
> 	- Building a Linux kernel-only cross compiler on my i386-linux
> 	  box for some {mips|ppc|m68k|...}-linux target running
> 	  efficiently on the box I build it on (BUILD == HOST).
> 	- Building a Linux kernel-only cross compiler on my i386-linux
> 	  box for some {mips|ppc|m68k|...}-linux target running
> 	  on any i386-like Linux machine (BUILD != HOST). So I can
> 	  easily copy this binutils/compiler suite to some other box.
>
> 	- Building a full cross compiler (including userland and all
> 	  sensefull languages) with BUILD == HOST as well as BULID !=
> 	  HOST, but also keeping in mind that BUILD and HOST are nearly
> 	  identical:)

OK, your wish is granted, I think.  Even that last part.
See http://kegel.com/crosstool for my all-singing, all-dancing build script.
(I don't have m68k support yet, but since you asked, I'll try to add it today.)

> For all those who are trying to build cross compilers, you may find
> helpfull hints at my link list here:
> http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/linux-ports/#EasilyBuildableCrossToolchains

Very nice!  I now link to that from http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

- Dan

[ Please cc me, as I'm not subscribed to gcc. ]

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com