Why does sparc build for you? or, why are make check results reported when it hasn't bootstrapped since May 5?

Eric Botcazou ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr
Tue Jun 10 17:14:00 GMT 2003

> Nice idea, difficult in practice.  I've tested patches on Solaris 8
> that break on 7, or work with GNU as/ld but break on native tools, or vice
> versa.  Then we still get bug reports for Solaris 2.6 or 2.5.1 users that
> I can't reproduce on my machines.

In my (short) experience with the SPARC/Solaris platform, I've found that
failures that can be purely narrowed down to differences between Solaris
versions are minor. I guess the same is roughly true for GNU vs Sun tools.

> For those and other reasons I find myself discouraged from testing on
> SPARC even though I have easy access to hardware.

Please don't, especially if you have access to *fast* multi-way SPARC boxes.

> Getting regular contributors to test on SPARC doesn't seem too realistic.

Too bad.

--
Eric Botcazou