Why does libiberty have to build before a C library?

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Tue Jun 10 16:42:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:17:17PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > 2003-05-21  DJ Delorie  <dj@redhat.com>
> >
> >         * Makefile.tpl (configure-target-libiberty): Depend only on gcc, not
> >         newlib or libgloss.
> >         * Makefile.in: Regenerate.
> >
> > DJ, that's pretty recent - could you explain why it was done?
>
> If you add that dependency, it creates a dependency loop and the build
> fails.  I can dig up the old emails about it, but they were right
> around the time of the patch.
>
> Note that any dependencies between modules must be explicitly
> specified via Makefile dependencies now.  Please do not rely on the
> order that they're listed - I can pretty much guarantee that that will
> NOT work any more.

Right, of course.

Well, I guess I need to figure out where that loop was and whether we
can break it some other way.  I'd really like libiberty to be built
after newlib.

Why does Cygwin need target libiberty?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz