RFC: Moving C to its own directory

cgd@broadcom.com cgd@broadcom.com
Mon Jun 2 21:18:00 GMT 2003

At Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:56:03 +0000 (UTC), "David O'Brien" wrote:

> > > Can't in BSD due to our deterministic Makefiles, etc.. -- this hasn't bit
> > > FreeBSD in the many years we've done this type of repo copy.  There is a
> > > possbility that GCC with its use of autoconf & friends, that something
> > > could get confused.
> >
> > "Bzzt!"  Nice bit of BSD elitism.  Too bad it completely misses the
> > point.
>
> It's not elitism.  You asked if I was 100% sure, and in thinking about,
> there is always a possbility that autoconf will discover more than one
> intended.  What's your solution to the issue then??

"Don't do moves like that with CVS."  There's no strong need to do
moves like that.

(The elitism I saw in your comments was the "due to your deterministic
Makefiles, etc." part.  That's not why it didn't break for you.  It
didn't break for you because you didn't happen to trip over a case
where -- "deterministic Makefiles" and all -- it would cause a
problem.)

> Please end the thread now.  It works for FreeBSD, as tested by many years
> and tons of users.  Don't FUD that it doesn't work at all.

I didn't say that it didn't work at all; i said that CVS didn't
_support_ moving files like this (where support means, to my mind:
produces correct historical output, and can expected to work similarly
in the future).

CVS allows you a lot of rope.  That doesn't mean that you should use
that rope.

FWIW, NetBSD did moves like this too, for years.  I think they've
("we've") been weaned of it, for a couple of reasons... one of which
is that having the revision control tree actually produce accurate
historical records is a ... desirable thing.  8-)

cgd