FSF GCC, #import and #pragma once
Mike Stump
mrs@apple.com
Tue Jul 22 20:42:00 GMT 2003
On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 02:54 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:
>> Has Zack succeeded in changing the language definition to not include
>> #import?
>
> Language definition ? The first time I heard of such a thing. :-)
Odd. I cannot account for that.
> It's a manual documenting part of your proprietary Cocoa
> development environment, and can't really be used as a vendor-neutral
> language definition.
There are many things described in there that are not part of the FSF
code base. Quite a lot of these are part of the runtime library or
will be contributed.
Ignoring those issues for a moment, there is still quite a bit of
content in there that describes the language as implemented by both the
Apple gcc compiler and the FSF gcc compiler. My claim is that this
forms a basis for a language document.
Is it perfect, no, few things in life are.
> I suppose we need a GNU language definition for the GNU Objective-C
> language
It might be nice if gcc had complete docs for the Objective-C language.
>> I think #import removal has to be OKed by Stan and Zem before it is
>> done.
>
> I found the other reply, saying the GCC SC need to decide that, much
> more
> balanced and acceptable, as the GCC SC is supposed to represent a
> variety
> of interests, rather than just Apple's own interests.
No, the SC should abstain from language definition. That isn't their
role. What they should do, is decide who is, and is to be Objective-C
maintainer and that person (or persons) should decide what gcc will do.
We already have an Objective-C maintainer, they already decide what
gcc should do.
I don't see that anything needs fixing. I don't see that anything is
being done wrong, or at odds with the community or users. If you
disagree, let us know.
> As far as I know, nobody is willing to maintain #import working across
> all
> platforms / filesystems that GCC is working on.
? So? If people want gcc to work in some feature space (X,Y,Z), then
people will have to test and submit patches to fix and keep it working
in that space. And if they don't, well, it will languish. People can
ensure a feature they don't like doesn't work by breaking it often,
but, personally, I don't think that is proper.
> Apple is willing to maintain in working on Apple, but what about all
> the
> other platforms / filesystems ?
I guess I don't understand what doesn't work. If something doesn't,
everyone is free to fix it, if they care, if no one cares, well, it
must not matter.
> I'd like to state clearly that I'm not willing to do any work on
> #import
Ok. Everyone is free to not contribute anything they don't want to,
wait, I said that wrong, everyone is free to not contribute everything
they want to, wait, oh, never mind. :-)
More information about the Gcc
mailing list