FSF GCC, #import and #pragma once

Mike Stump mrs@apple.com
Tue Jul 22 19:04:00 GMT 2003

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 11:22 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 02:18:52PM -0700, Mike Stump wrote:
>>> Do you have a pointer to the Objc language specification?
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/
>> index.html
>
> Hmm, I never heard of Apple defining objc.

Odd.  I cannot account for why you've never heard that before.  SS ->
NeXT -> Apple, pretty simple.  SS wrote the first manual and the first
compiler.  NeXT moved away from that and did up their own manual and
compiler (gcc), NeXT bought various IP related to Objective-C, SS
appears to be gone now, Apple bought NeXT.

> So is there actually a specification of the language accepted by the
> FSF gnu objc compiler and runtime?

Yes, the language is defined by the language document I pointed at, the
Apple runtime is defined by the Apple docs, and the GNU runtime is
defined either by the FSF docs or by the code.