make info and make dvi depend on make all?

Gerald Pfeifer gerald@pfeifer.com
Sun Jul 13 15:36:00 GMT 2003


On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Dara Hazeghi wrote:
>> The logic is that "make info" (toplevel) implies "make info" in target
>> libraries (though the target libraries proper don't have info
>> documentation, but libiberty and fastjar do) which implies configuring
>> them, which implies building the compiler.  "make info" in the gcc
>> subdirectory shouldn't depend on building anything.
> Hmm... I see. I guess there's no real way around that. It's just I was a
> bit surprised when doing make info to about an hour, instead of a minute
> or two!
>
> So just to clarify in general though, if you make documentation changes,
> you are required to do a full make info, or just do one in the affected
> directories?

Nathanael, Joseph, as I also received a private inquiry concerning
this: is it sufficient to configure GCC (at the toplevel) and then
cd to objdir/gcc and run `make info` or `make dvi`?

If so, I'll add a README to gcc/doc documenting this.

Gerald



More information about the Gcc mailing list