FW: trademark filings for GCC?

Jim Wilson wilson@tuliptree.org
Fri Jul 11 23:53:00 GMT 2003

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> What about __GNUC__ (the preprocessor define)?  It has been reported
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-06/msg01822.html> that Intel's nonfree
> compiler defines it to masquerade as GCC.

Unfortunately, we don't distinguish between the macro used to identify
gcc, and the macro used to identify the GNU C language implemented by
gcc.  We use the same macro for both purposes.  Since it is reasonable
for any compiler to implement the GNU C language, and because any such
compiler must define the __GNUC__ macro, I don't believe we have any
credible argument for restricting other compilers from defining __GNUC__.

Jim