ObjC improvements and ObjC++

Matt Austern austern@apple.com
Tue Jul 8 03:32:00 GMT 2003

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 08:00  PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:
>
>> However, the local changes are lengthy and somewhat intertwined,
>> and it seems like excessive makework to try to separate and patch
>> them into the trunk one at a time; so I'd like to have a relatively
>> short-lived objc-improvements-branch to stage the changes, test
>> them away from Apple's other local changes and on other platforms,
>> with GNUstep, etc, and then move them into the trunk en masse. 99%
>> of the basic ObjC changes will be in gcc/objc; there are a couple
>> to generic C frontend code, and one dubious change to calls.c that
>> will need extra special attention.
>
> This seems to me like a sensible plan.
>
> Is there any hope of ObjC runtime unification, and of documenting the
> ObjC ABI?

I think that would be ambitious for 3.4.  Our main goal for 3.4 is to
contribute Apple's changes to the general community.  I think that's
doable, but much more than that probably isn't.

I should mention, by the way, as someone who doesn't deal much with
ObjC++ other than in its impact to cc1plus: ObjC++ does involve a few
changes to the C++ front end, but they're very harmless changes.  (A
few functions renamed---that sort of thing.)  I don't think anyone is
going to mind the changes we need for ObjC++.

			--Matt