[Bug target/10129] Ada bootstrap fails on PPC-Darwin - invalid assembler emitted - PIC related

Dale Johannesen dalej@apple.com
Thu Jul 3 17:16:00 GMT 2003

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 09:19  PM, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:00:23PM -0700, Dale Johannesen wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 01:52  PM, Geert Bosch wrote:
>>> Anyway, I'm quite unhappy that the whole Darwin PIC code and design
>>> is considered "horribly ugly" and "broken".
>>
>> So are we.  It predates anybody now working at Apple, and has
>> successfully resisted all attempts to rewrite it more cleanly.
>
> I had it 95% done, but ran into problems that couldn't
> be solved by remoted debugging (ld crashes on some tests).
> GeoffK said he'd look into it, but hasn't yet.

And we appreciate it.  Like everybody else here, Geoff has been
frantically busy the last couple of months.  If he said he'd look into
it I'm sure he will; he doesn't like that code any more than anybody
else.