GCC Code-Size Benchmark Environment (CSiBE)

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com
Wed Jul 2 17:27:00 GMT 2003

Arpad Beszedes wrote:

> On this site:
> http://gcc.rgai.hu/CSiBE/
>
> you can find the first public version of our code-size benchmark
> intended to be used for continuous verification of GCC's optimization
> for size. The size of the generated code is measured for -Os and -O2
> compilations. New measurement data will be available on a daily basis
> for several important targets (currently arm, m68k, i386 and mips). In
> the database currently there are data available back to March 2003.

Thanks for tracking these.  Size is important and knowing techniques
to reduce a hosted and bare board executable size is important
information.
The information in the paper would be helpful to someone trying to
reduce
their code's footprint.

> Please give us feedback about how to improve this benchmark as we think
> that it would be very useful for GCC developers to be able to monitor
> the effect of his/her modification to the code.

If you are planning on continuing to run the benchmarks, I would humbly
suggest that the powerpc and possibly the sparc also be included and
that
you update to newlib 1.11.0.

For RTEMS, we have what we call "appplication profiles" that we
periodically
check the size of.  These range from a minimal embedded system that
powers
up and off, up to a system with TCP/IP, httpd and ftpd.  The entire code
base of RTEMS and libraries is built using a particular compiler.  Our
focus
is not on the impact of gcc as much as watching for functional
dependencies
that creep in over time such as a driver being changed to print a
message
and suddenly the minimum footprint includes printf() and a lot of
supporting
code.

So it might make sense to pick some typical embedded system type code
like
a TCP/IP stack and watch its size as well.