Inlining (was: GCC 3.3 release criteria)

Allan Sandfeld linux@sneulv.dk
Thu Feb 27 15:26:00 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 11:44, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com> writes:
> | On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:37:43AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > Does -fobey-inline differ from __attribute__((always_inline))?
> |
> | Yes, with -fobey-inline you only need to change the makefiles, not the
> | source.
>
> Ah, I see what you mean.
>
> This
>
>     -Dinline="__attribute__((always_inline)) inline"
>
> (or something to that effect) was suggested earlier.  It just needs
> Makefile change.

I guess this is what -fobey-inline does internally. The difference is that
-fobey-inline makes immediate sense, and is a regular flag we can document in
man and info. IOW people will know it's possible and use it.

`Allan