static const double pi = 3.1415;

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Tue Feb 18 08:55:00 GMT 2003

--On Saturday, February 15, 2003 04:13:24 PM -0800 Mike Stump
<mrs@apple.com> wrote:

> Thoughts?  I have a patch to do this, if we like the general idea.

I don't believe this was ever a GNU language feature as such; it was never
documented as an extension to my knowledge.  It was just one of many, many
places where we allowed more code to compile than we should have.

If people really feel that we need to add this back in, we can do that with
-fpermissive -- but the only exception we should make is for floating-point
types, not aggregates, etc.  That latter case cannot really be made to work
reliably without major work.