GCC 3.3 compile speed regression - AN ANSWER

Mike Stump mstump@apple.com
Tue Feb 11 00:51:00 GMT 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 03:27 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Has anyone looked at how much the binutils contribute to the end to
> end performance question?  gas is involved in every compile and ld is
> involved in every program link.  I just don't recall it every being
> mentioned.

Yes.  Down so far in the noise, that I don't even want to mention how
long they take, but I can, gas 2.6%, ld 1.3%.  Testcase Finder_FE with
-Os -g.  Note, these are for Apple's versions of these tools in our
environment, and on Linux, you may see different numbers.