On inlining in C++
Richard Guenther
rguenth@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Aug 5 11:45:00 GMT 2003
On 5 Aug 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Richard Guenther <rguenth@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> | Of course - but this looks like a workaround for a C++ defect, not like a
> | good design principle ;) I'd rather like
> |
> | void f(int) { ... }
> |
> | void g(int i) {
> | inline f(5);
> | f(i);
> | }
> |
> | to have one call inlined, not the other. But of course this aint C++...
>
> Please, let's separate new language features design from implementation
> of existing ones.
Of course - I was just thinking in public, as maybe such syntax would be
legal but without defined semantics. But in general a portable way to
specify such would be appreciated.
> The next C++ standards committee meeting is in September in Kona. If
> you think that is something C++ should have, please submit a proposal.
I dont have time to do so and I'm not familiar with the process and I even
dont know C++ enough to think of all effects of such.
Richard.
--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>
WWW: http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~rguenth/
More information about the Gcc
mailing list