-malign-natural for Linux PPC64 and AIX

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 25 15:40:00 GMT 2003


Hi David (Geoff),

I noticed that Darwin, AIX and if I am reading the file right LinuxPPC 64 
have all adopted the double aligned to 4 while long long int aligned to 8 
(at least based on the comments in the relevant rs6000/*.h files in gcc 
3.3).

This presents a problem interfacing to the component model of 
OpenOffice.org.  

Luckily the Mac OSX version of gcc has added a command
line switch to the compiler -malign-natural that that nicely allows both
doubles and long long ints to be aligned to 8 (i.e the natural alignment 
based on size).  This type of alignment is used by Linux PPC32 
(sysvr4.h?).

If I were to create a patch to allow -malign-natural to work as it does 
under MacOSX gcc version,  for both AIX and Linux PPC64 would you be 
willing to include it in some future release?

Thanks,

Kevin




More information about the Gcc mailing list