Release Quality Control (was: DOC PATCH: GCC 3.2.3 release schedule)

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 7 00:21:00 GMT 2003


On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>| [...] considering the large amount of changes on the branch, I'd like
>| to suggest we try to get test-results from all primary and secondary
>| platforms, at least (but this is something where we depend on many
>| volunteers).
> I think your suggestion is an excellent one.
>
> I can manage to setup testing on solaris-2.[67]/SPARC and GNU/Linux
> here before leaving.

That's good to have!

> I, unfortunately, do not have access to the other primary and
> secondary plateforms so I would welcome any help.

I thought about it during a long run today, and I believe we really need
to change the way we are performing quality control for releases, even if
that may mean delaying a release by another week.

Until now, we basically said ``Nobody has complained that the release
branch is broken on his platform, so let's go'' while we should wait
to receive positive confirmation for every single primary and secondary
platform (with a timeout for secondary platforms, but none for primary
platforms).


But perhaps you and Mark have been handling it that way all the time
anyways (just ignore this message then), but I noticed this was not
documented at <http://gcc.gnu.org/releasing.html>.

If you, Mark and Gaby, agree, I'll add this to that page; if not, let's
discuss it. ;-)

Gerald
-- 
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/



More information about the Gcc mailing list