quote marks [was: Status of i18n patches]

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Mon Oct 14 09:35:00 GMT 2002

While we're at it, perhaps it is time to fix things like:
`%s' to '%s' - i.e. get rid of uses of 0x60 GRAVE ACCENT as
"begin single quote".  This no longer works with modern
Unicode-compatible fonts, since it is not symmetric with
0x27 APROSTROPHE (aks APOSTROPHE-QUOTE).

Unicode recommends using 0x2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
and 0x2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, but that may be too
radical a choice, for now.

One option: we could have the various error routines post-process the
error message before printing.  Depending on an option or the locale
it could either emit a pair of 0x27 or a 0x2018/0x2019 pair ...
--
	--Per Bothner