upgrading fromm old gcc (newbie Q)

tim@glastonburymusic tim@glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Nov 24 09:38:00 GMT 2002


Hi

I know this may be obvious (newbie alert!)
I want to upgrade to the latest version of gcc (3.2)
I already have .2.8.0 and pgcc.2.91.66 on my f00f bug pentium 133 (w/ 32M
RAM) & 2.0.x Linux kernel.
a) is there any reason that my hardware won't be able to handle it?
b) do I need to upgrade to say 2.95 or 3.0 as an intermediary stage?
c) do I need to learn ALL the in & outs of gcc before I try doing this?

I've been RTFM for over a month now, and I feel like my eyeballs are popping
out of their sockets not to mention overloading the brain cell (now
polyfunctional) - talk about learning curve!

I haven't tried compiling the kernel yet (for testing) I guess that's my
next most informative option.
If this isn't an obvious problem then that's all I need to know right now. I
could always install a more up to date distro - so far I'm having fun and
learning loads ;-)

Thanks for the most brilliant thing I've come across in computing since I
started seriously using them. More power to your coding elbow!
tim



More information about the Gcc mailing list