howto compile gnat included in gcc-3.1?

Marc Espie espie@nerim.net
Mon Jun 10 07:32:00 GMT 2002


On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 03:36:32PM +0200, Nils Radtke wrote:
> # and where, oh, where is the fragment of the configure log that deals with 
> # ada ? Look at it (I assume you've been running your compile under script(1)
> # or some equivalent. If not, try again, you just lost some newbie points.)
> Oh, oh, and where am I supposed to find this couple of bits called
> config.log? Its somewhat not the first time I have to fix a struggled
> source and config.log has always been a verbose friend. But neither in
> gcc-3.1 nor gcc-build there _is_ any config.log!

Funny, I can find quite a few config logs under the build directory.

Hint: try find . -name config.log -print, you'll be enlightened.

Like, gcc-build/gcc/config.log. Hard to find, heh ?

Well, I'll admit that the mix of cygnus configure and gnu autoconf can
be confusing at times, but come on ! Is it really the first time you've
built something with recursive configure invocations ?

> # At a guess, it will say it did not find an ada compiler, or gnatbind...
> # This is where you must look...
> I would really really _like_ to look at this lovely file..
> Can you tell me where I am to find this file?

Read carefully what I wrote... did you see script(1) ?  If you don't know
the script command, learn ! It's the most useful command one can use to 
create complete bug reports.

First you run script.
Then you run configure.
Then you exit the shell.
Then you look at typescript.

> About the perhaps not found ada compiler: the bin dir which holds the
> gcc (ada-comp.) and gnatmake and friends _is_ in PATH. First thing.
> Second: ADAC tells configure where to find and configure stats in
> config.cache:

> # grep -E "gnat|ada" config.cache
> ac_cv_prog_adac_no_long_long=${ac_cv_prog_adac_no_long_long=yes}
> gcc_cv_prog_adac=${gcc_cv_prog_adac=/usr/local/gnat/bin/gcc}
> #

> There _is_ an ada enabled gcc.

Okay, so look for gnatbind as well. It's likely it's not in your path, and
that's what killing the compilation.



More information about the Gcc mailing list