Rename -W to -Wextra ?
Wheeler, Fred (Research)
wheeler@crd.ge.com
Mon Jun 3 07:07:00 GMT 2002
Greetings,
I posted this suggestion years ago, and am repeating it since it is related to the current warning
option (-Wextra) discussion. The original post is at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1998-11/msg00580.html
The original suggestion is repeated below. There was some follow-up discussion that is still
available on the archives.
-----------------------------------------------------------
In the interest of less messy command lines I suggest a new option for
gcc: -Wallall. Right now -Wall adds about a dozen important -W*
options. I think -Wallall should add absolutely every -W* option that
exists now or is added in the future. Common usage would be to use
the -Wallall option to add all options and then remove unwanted
warning options with -Wno-*, and specify specific arguments to options
like -Wlarger-than-NNN.
Example:
gcc -Wallall -Wno-error -Wlarger-than-32 -Wno-aggregate-return ...
Regards,
Fred Wheeler
More information about the Gcc
mailing list