Remaining host configuration fragments
Mark Mitchell
mark@codesourcery.com
Wed Jan 16 01:17:00 GMT 2002
> I am trying to push a general principle that we should actively prune
> obsolete configurations rather than leave the code around to rot
> slowly and confuse people trying to do maintenance.
Yes.
In contrast with some other folks, I would even be willing to say
something like this: "Even though we know there are people out there
who still use Irix 5, we are dropping support for it in GCC 3.1.
You can still use GCC 3.0 (or earlier) there, of course."
In some cases, we are still trying to support systems with GCC that
the operating system vendors stopped supporting years ago. To me,
this is not an optimal use of scarce resources.
I don't have any good bright-line criteria for making that decision,
though.
--
Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
CodeSourcery, LLC http://www.codesourcery.com
More information about the Gcc
mailing list