Locality problems caused by size based allocation?

Daniel Berlin dberlin@dberlin.org
Mon Dec 16 11:19:00 GMT 2002

In search of the real cause of the locality problems, I built a copying
collector based on ggc-page. It specifically makes sure that we don't
reuse  pages we've just freed when copying (to avoid non-contiguousness
as much as possible).

It ends up, subtracting gc time, being just as fast/slow as ggc-page
normally is. In fact, it's slightly slower if i make it not reuse pages
than it is if i do.

This leads me to believe that our locality problems might actually be
caused by the fact that we use size based allocation, which has
basically no locality whatsoever in gcc.

I tested this theory (by changing the mark and sweep ggc-page to not
size allocate), and it appears to be correct, since ggc-page with mark
and sweep became just about as fast as my original copying collector
tests (for large files, the fragmentation started affecting us
slightly).

What was the rationale behind size based allocation?

I also, based on a offhand suggestion by zack, made a ggc-boehm.
It works (though it fails if you have it collect whenever ggc_collect
is called, even if i tell it it's not safe to collect without me
explicitly calling the collection function. It also fails in a few
cases. We must be hiding pointers somehow), and is faster than ggc-page
with size allocation, running the same speed as the copying collector
and the non-size allocating ggc-page (garbage collection times are much
faster, too).

It obviously doesn't collect as much garbage as the accurate collectors
(roughly half as much, in fact).
But the fact that it was as fast lends credence to the theory that it's
size based allocation that is doing us in.

--Dan