compile time regressions (was: merging for 3.4)

Mike Stump mrs@apple.com
Tue Dec 10 14:24:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 12:33 PM, Neil Booth wrote:
> That's what scares me about PCH - I'm afraid it'll be used as an excuse
> not to fix some of the real problems we have, because "we're fast
> enough
> now".  I'd rather wait until we have good performance without PCH
> before
> allowing PCH, though I realize that's not gonna fly.

No, no, you have it backwards...  PCH is going to expose all that slow
code that should be fast, that has to be fast, so that we can fix it.
By being 12x faster, or just 2x faster, there is _much_ less room to be
slow, not more, really.