gcc is very slow for me.

Drcadmando@aol.com Drcadmando@aol.com
Fri Jan 12 08:44:00 GMT 2001


'm having a bad experience with the speed of gcc. I have run some tests on 86 
randomly selected set of .c files, making a static library. On the same 
machine, in different partitions, one LINUX, the other dos. In the LINUX 
partition, under LINUX, version 2-2-16, simple make all command, it takes 
about three hours. In the dos partition, under Windows 3.1, using a vintage 
1994 version of Borland,s compiler, it takes 7.5 minutes. I don't really 
think it is gcc which is doing this, but I do believe I have told any 
configurator I have what the hardware parameters are. Furthermore, I don't 
hear any disk rattle, which I would in the case of thrashing. I am obviously 
doing something wrong, but I need advice on where to look.

Thanx,
Marvin E Walden






More information about the Gcc mailing list