"introduce no new bootstrap warning" criteria. was: Loop iv debugging patch
Andreas Jaeger
aj@suse.de
Fri Jan 12 07:09:00 GMT 2001
>>>>> Robert Lipe writes:
> About a recent patch, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> Bootstrapping gcc I get:
>> /cvs/gcc/gcc/doloop.c:60: warning: static declaration for `doloop_condition_get' follows non-static
> For some compilers, this is a hard error and breaks the build.
> I'm not going to fuss about the commit in question. But in recent
> years, a LOT of effort has been spent on getting the warning level in
> a full bootstrap down to a manageable number. (Thanks, Kaveh!) It's
> easy to watch that number decay as code is added back in that isn't held
> to the same standards of zero warnings. Yeah, when major new libraries
> come it I can see it taking some time for them to stabilize on all
> combinations of builds, but we're consistently seeing defects introduced
> into tree that gcc itself would have told us about.
> Is it time, in the name of quality/damage control in this project, to
> make it an acceptance criteria for any commit that it introduce no new
> warnings?
I don't think we can demand absolutly no new warnings. But we could
classify the warnings and demand that some warnings (like the one I
reported and fixed) are forbidden but others are ok
(e.g. signed/unsigned compares).
Another problem is also that you might not get any warning on the
platform you're bootstrapping on but would get a warning if you
bootstrap, e.g. on a 64 bit platform instead of a 32 bit platform.
I'm in favor of decreasing the number of warnings,
Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger
SuSE Labs aj@suse.de
private aj@arthur.inka.de
http://www.suse.de/~aj
More information about the Gcc
mailing list