[new-regalloc] What is the status on current sources

Geert Bosch bosch@gnat.com
Sat Feb 10 09:47:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 05:12:07 +0100 (MET), Michael Matz wrote:

  But at the first time don't expect any performance improvements.  Not in
  compile time, which might get horrible

I couldn't agree more that it is too early to worry about absolute
performance, but I do think we need to be clear that the various algorithms
can be implemented without regressing to algorithms that inherently
require O(n**2) time. An essential part of the implementation of the
dataflow algorithms is to use DFS post-order traversal.

Since it seems that flow.c is the place where we do our dataflow analysis,
I wonder why you decided to implement a new df.c unit. It seems to me
that it would be preferable to enhance the existing flow.c instead of
writing a different piece of code that mostly does the same.

  -Geert