How to understand gcc

David Rasmussen pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 15:01:00 GMT 2001


Hi there,

How can I learn how gcc works? I have taken one compiler course at my
university, and I own the "Dragon book" and Modern Compiler Implementation
in ML. I am specifically interested in the C++ part of the compiler. But
really, I would like to have some sort of general understanding about the
design of gcc, how it is modularized, what techniques are used and which are
not (i.e. design choices) etc. I can imagine that this is a near impossible
task, but I want to know anyway :) I think it would be great if there was
some sort of documentation that described the design and techniques of gcc.
Ultimately, I would like to read a compiler text book, that used gcc as an
example throughout.

/David



More information about the Gcc mailing list