Excessive resource consumption (GCC 3.1)

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 8 23:43:00 GMT 2001


A sparc-sun-solaris2.6 box I considered dedicating to automatic regression
testing failed it's first experiment:

  stage2/xgcc -Bstage2/ -B/sw/test/gcc/SunOS/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/bin/ -c -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -Ijava -I/sw/test/gcc/cvs/gcc -I/sw/test/gcc/cvs/gcc/java -I/sw/test/gcc/cvs/gcc/config -I/sw/test/gcc/cvs/gcc/../include /sw/test/gcc/cvs/gcc/java/parse.c -o java/parse.o
  cc1: Cannot allocate 8744016 bytes after allocating 27115520 bytes
  gmake[2]: *** [java/parse.o] Error 1
  gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/OBJ-0808-0716/gcc'
  gmake[1]: *** [stage3_build] Error 2
  gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/OBJ-0808-0716/gcc'
  gmake: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2

This is a box with 80MB of main memory and 160MB of swap.

Am I the only one finding this unacceptable?

Gerald

PS: Mark, this is plain C code, not C++, else I would have waited for
the future work you had announced (and certainly until the release of
GCC 3.0.1) before reporting this.  Your load is already skyrocketing
beyond bounds, but this seems someone else's stuff.



More information about the Gcc mailing list