hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Fri Sep 29 18:15:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 05:07:20PM -0400, brent@rcfile.org wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2000 at 16:38 (-0400), Phil Edwards wrote:
>
> | 'make all' at the top level (or in the gcc subdir) will build everything just
> | once.  If you know you have a completely working C compiler installed already
> | to do the build, then that's usually good enough for most sub-projects
> | (like C++-related things).  For stuff that affects the core C compiler,
> | you should always do a full bootstrap for the additional testing.
>
> has the 'make all' worked as desired/expected for you?

Absolutely.  It picks up any compiler changes from others, and eventually
descends to build libstdc++-v3, which is what I'm usually messing with.

>From the top level, there are a bunch of targets you can use for make, of
the form {configure,all,check,install}-[target-]{subproject}.  Excuse the
fugly regexp there.

Inside particular directories, make works like it always does, e.g.,
'make gcc.o' to rebuild just one file correctly.

Phil