hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Fri Sep 29 13:34:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:05:09PM -0400, brent@rcfile.org wrote:
> quick question:
>   if files (e.g., gcc/cp/decl.c) are modified, how can I avoid
>   bootstrapping to test any modifications?

Good question; I went through this same thing.

'make all' at the top level (or in the gcc subdir) will build everything just
once.  If you know you have a completely working C compiler installed already
to do the build, then that's usually good enough for most sub-projects
(like C++-related things).  For stuff that affects the core C compiler,
you should always do a full bootstrap for the additional testing.

The people actually in charge will now correct any of my misconceptions.  :-)