Coding convention: use of `!x' vs. `! x'

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Fri Sep 22 21:44:00 GMT 2000

    Tim> Before adding new standards I think it would be better to
    Tim> have the existing standards followed more closely eg comments
    Tim> and meaningful variable names. At present these are the major
    Tim> hurdles in front of anyone wanting to help with GCC. In
    Tim> particular the configure/make files are a major 'swamp of no
    Tim> return'.

I don't think it's either/or.  I would love to see the Makefiles
improved.  I actually looked at this stuff a few months back, and
couldn't quite do what I wanted to do -- which was to move a lot more
stuff to configure time, instead of Makefile evaluation time.

    Tim> Maybe it is deliberable to stop people who don't know what
    Tim> they are doing from getting involved.

It's not.  It is unfortunate, though, that things got to the state
they're in.

    Tim> Are there any programs to test for FSF standards compliance,
    Tim> realizing that full checking is not possible, you could check
    Tim> quite a lot.

I don't know of any such programs.