Question about very old patch

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Sun Sep 17 11:13:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 07:39:14PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > That is why I suggested xxxBSD to use ELF like Linux. We could have
> > worked together to solve all those problems. But it is too late now.
>
> FreeBSD has been using ELF for quite some time now.

It is several years too late. Also FreeBSD liked to add their own,
incompatible stuff to their ELF implemenation. Also they rarely
contribute to the ELF support in binutils. They just use whatever have
been developed for Linux. There are many things to be done in the ELF
support in binutils. I'd love to see someone from FreeBSD contribute
something to the ELF support in binutils. I guess they are just used
to have something which just works. They have taken what Linux has
done for granted.

FYI, we have implemenated a few new ELF features and new archs in
binutils since 2.10. We are working on more now.

H.J.