The Toad Trial

Bruce Korb bkorb@cruzio.com
Sun Sep 3 15:38:00 GMT 2000

I would like to give this code a run on the on anoncvs.cygnus.com
(or whatever it is really called).  The first version worked for
me, as long as I did not commit the recursive file (gcc/c-parse.in)
and the derived files were in the right order (oh, well).
All fixed now.  I can edit any of:

  gcc/c-parse.gperf
  gcc/c-parse.in
  gcc/cp/parse.y
  gcc/fixinc/fixincl.tpl
  gcc/fixinc/inclhack.def
  gcc/tradcif.y

and have the appropriate files from the following automatically
checked in (if changed):

  contrib/gen/gcc/cp/parse.c
  contrib/gen/gcc/cp/parse.h
  contrib/gen/gcc/fixinc/fixincl.x
  contrib/gen/gcc/objc/objc-parse.c
  contrib/gen/gcc/objc/objc-parse.h
  contrib/gen/gcc/objc/objc-parse.y
  contrib/gen/gcc/c-gperf.h
  contrib/gen/gcc/c-parse.c
  contrib/gen/gcc/c-parse.h
  contrib/gen/gcc/c-parse.y
  contrib/gen/gcc/tradcif.c

I have left off the java and configury stuff because
a) it was a bit confusing and b) this is enough to test at once.
Of course, it is trivial to rearrange where these files go.
They can even (some of them ;-) go back into their original
directories, since this is all done no-waited.  Email is
sent to either ${CVS_ERRORS_TO} or "gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org"
in case of a problem.

The caveats:

1.  If you want to regenerate the "regen.x" file, you cannot
    use the old AutoGen (i.e. the one used for fixincl.x).
    It was too hard to do what I needed with the old version.
    Someday soon, I ought to update the templates for GCC, but
    it would also mean requiring the libguile library in order
    to run AutoGen.

2.  It will not be possible to commit files with different
    version tags at the same time.  You would not want to anyway,
    would you?  :-)

3.  This won't really do anything until we do stuff to pull the
    results out of the ``gen'' directory

4.  Before it can be installed, the ``gen'' directory must be built
    with all the generated files populated and branch-tagged correctly.
REGEN.tgz