gcc warning

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr@codesoucery.com
Tue Oct 31 11:23:00 GMT 2000


Joe Buck <jbuck@racerx.synopsys.com> writes:

| On Oct 31, 2000, Jimen Ching <jching@flex.com> wrote:
| > 
| > > I got this warning with latest CVS.  How do I fix my code so it does not
| > > appear?
| 
| Alexandre Oliva writes:
| > Use shorter literal strings.
| 
| Right, but this begs the question of when this warning should be enabled:
| by default, with -Wall, etc.
| 
| A user trying to check her program for maximum portability will
| supply flags like -ansi -pedantic; in that case the warning should
| be produced.  But I'm not sure that it should be produced by default
| or even with -Wall.

Well, I'll put in my two cents.

It is my opinion that that warning should not be on by default, nor
implied by -Wall.  It is just pedantically annoying.

-- Gaby
CodeSourcery, LLC                       http://www.codesourcery.com


More information about the Gcc mailing list