GCC 3.0

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Sun Oct 1 13:49:00 GMT 2000


On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 11:37:09AM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> 
> I am becoming increasingly concerned about the release f GCC 3.0.
> 
> Progress on some aspects of the GCC 3.0 release criteria (namely,
> turning on libstdc++ V3 and the conversion of the Java front-end to

Just turn on libstdc++ V3 now. I am sure there will expose quite a few
problems. But if no one reports bug, they won't be fixed. Not many
people will work on libstdc++ V3 unless it is configured by default.
The same goes for shared library and threads. Right now you have to
enable them by hand. As far as I can tell from the gcc testsuite
mailing list, not many people do that, even on Linux where shared
library and threads should be enabled by default.

> use the new C++ ABI) have shown little progress in quite some time.
> Those changes, together with libgcc.so (which, thanks to Richard, we
> are making some progress on) are critical -- and to my knowledge the
> only major pieces of functionality missing.
> 

I am very concerned about shared libgcc. There is a discussion on the
patch list. Not all people, myself included, are on the patch list. As
I said, I don't want the shared libgcc to be linked in by default under
Linux. Under Linux, I'd like to see a separate system library with a
published ABI alone with the C library which serves the same purpose
what the shared libgcc is supposed to do.



H.J.


More information about the Gcc mailing list