Mistaken change in GCC (fwd)

David Edelsohn dje@watson.ibm.com
Wed Nov 22 11:07:00 GMT 2000


>>>>> Neil Booth writes:

Neil> However, I will only commit my time to do this if we agree now on
Neil> doing absolutely *nothing* to cpp0.  cpp0 works on tokens, not text.
Neil> It lexes tokens the C way.  It does not preserve the form of
Neil> whitespace.  Double dots with a space between them is the least of
Neil> your problems trying to put Makefiles through it or languages other
Neil> than C derivatives and assembler.  I am extremely against anything
Neil> done to cpp0 that encourages such abuse.

	Just to clarify for myself: one can and should use tradcpp for
"preprocessing" any non-C files, e.g., Makefiles.  If we can support this
"abuse" of the C preprocessor, I agree with not undermining cpp0 /
integrated cpp to provide that functionality.

David



More information about the Gcc mailing list