config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)
Mo McKinlay
mmckinlay@gnu.org
Tue Nov 7 14:50:00 GMT 2000
> How about simply calling pentium2 "pentium2"? We could also call
> pentium3 "pentium3", and pentiumpro "pentiumpro". Do you get the
> idea? :-)
One word: Trademarks :-)
> Some packages might want to make a distinction between exact CPU
> types. GMP is one such package, where there has a very significant
> speed advantage,
tbh, I don't think it's config.guess/config.sub's job to figure this out -
I think there should be specific autoconf tests for specific CPU
type. Splitting the ix86 family of chips up for generic configury always
seemed to be a bizarre idea, as the majority applications treat i[34567]86
as a single type of CPU.
But, as this wasn't done in the first place, I doubt it will happen any
time soon, so I'll shut up ;)
--
Mo McKinlay
mmckinlay@gnu.org
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GnuPG/PGP Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22
More information about the Gcc
mailing list