Why not gnat Ada in gcc? (really ia64 port and NDAs)

John P. Pietrzak john@pietrzak.org
Fri Nov 3 04:34:00 GMT 2000


On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Richard Kenner wrote:

>     so then the case would be that the copyright was violated because
>     the person didnt have a right to use it because they were violating
>     the GPL?
> 
> Close, but the violation is not in *using* it, but in copying it.  In other
> words, distributing it to a person under terms that aren't consistent with
> the GPL (adding a restriction).

Oh?  And what restriction would that be?

There is no problem here with the GPL, the only problem here is with the
NDA.  Forget the GPL; if, for example, I'm under an NDA and I disclose to
you what I was supposed to keep secret _under any licensing scheme at
all_, the penalties are weighed against ME.  You, the receiver of the
material, have nothing to do with the NDA agreement; you could have gotten
the material under a single-use license for $100,000, under the GPL, or
under no license at all, in all cases my NDA should have no applicability
to you.

Therefore, I have placed no additional restrictions upon you.

--John



More information about the Gcc mailing list